Opening Weekend: The PGA TOUR Fan Shop at THE PLAYERS Welcome Experience will be open to the public the weekend before the tournament (March 5-7), so that our Northeast Florida community can come check out the unique merchandise collection and purchase commemorative items and apparel. No ticket is required, and guests can park in the public parking lot off CR 210.
- Friday, March 5: 12 pm to 5 pm
- Saturday, March 6: 10 am to 4 pm
- Sunday, March 7: 10 am to 4 pm
What’s New in 2021:
- Vineyard Vines custom PLAYERS-inspired t-shirt designs for men, women and youth
- T-shirts embellished with the local color and culture of Ponte Vedra Beach and Northeast Florida – Sun, Surf, Palm Trees, Golf and the PGA TOUR’s flagship event. Below is the graphic that will be printed on the t-shirts.
- Trendy prints on polos with the sought after swinging Goldman logo by Peter Millar.
Best Sellers and Key Offerings
- Large selection of apparel for Men and Woman in comfortable fabrications and trend setting colors and prints
- Over 20,000 hats available. Choose your fabrication, color and style.
- Cheers to THE PLAYERS! Enjoy your favorite beverage in a PLAYERS logo tumbler, barware, mules, coffee mugs, koozies and more.
- Exciting gifts and souvenirs for the youngest fans. Toys, apparel and headwear available from newborn to youth.
- Over 10,000 tee shirts for that casual lifestyle!
Health and Safety:
The PGA TOUR Fan Shop will be complying with a strict set of health and safety protocols in order to maintain a safe environment for all guests. These protocols include:
- Open air
- One way in, one way out
- Electronic counter at the entrance and exits to ensure capacity is not exceeded at any time
- Social distancing decals on the ground throughout the Fan Shop
- Directional Signage to guide fans throughout the Fan Shop
- Face Masks required
- Cashless and contactless payment system
- Hand sanitizing stations throughout the Fan Shop
- Plexiglass guards at all checkout counters and at bag check
- Staff will be sanitizing the counters and their hands after each transaction
- Health screening checks for all staff, volunteers and vendors upon arrival
Food & Drink
Wine & Dine on 9 presented by Meiomi Wines – 9 fairway
Enjoy food from Bonefish Grill and a glass of wine from Meiomi Wines, the official wine of the PGA TOUR, in a beautiful garden setting. Freshen up at the permanent restrooms here as well.
Relax, unwind, and discover the unrivaled taste of Meiomi Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Rosé. Cheers! (Please enjoy Meiomi wines responsibly.)
Food Court – THE PLAYERS Welcome Experience
Trucks on 10
This venue offers flavors from local, favorite food trucks and an open-air Michelob ULTRA Mobile bar.
- Twisted Okie
- Carolina Jax
Tacos on 12 – 12 green
One of the most well-trafficked food venues on the course, featuring food and drink from TacoLu, Jacksonville’s most popular Baja Mexicana.
Sawgrass Square – 10 tee
Located at the Davis Love III Entry, grab a donut from Mini Bar and/or some BBQ from 4 Rivers Smokehouse.
- Mini Bar – Jacksonville’s first mini donut shop will be serving up a set menu of mini-sized donuts in more than a dozen unique flavors. Some examples include fruity pebbles, samoa, pop tart, maple bacon, and coffee cake.
- 4 Rivers Smokehouse – a sophisticated Texas-style smokehouse
Sawgrass Splash – the signature cocktail of THE PLAYERS.
The Sawgrass Splash is made with vodka, fresh lemonade, orange juice and lime juice, as well as simple syrup. It’s best served tall and over ice.
YETI pint cups
Fans can purchase 16-ounce PLAYERS-logoed YETI pint cups in all draft beer locations, and the YETI can be refilled with beer only and for the price of a regular draft beer, on the day of purchase. Locations include: Bier Garden, Oasis Refreshment and #18 Landing Refreshment.
Remember: Fans can refill up their empty water bottles at the filtered water stations: No. 10 tee, No. 9 fairway, behind 16 green, behind 12 tee). In addition, THE PLAYERS will allow reusable plastic or metal cups up to 32oz at entries, as long as they are empty.
Permanent restroom facilities (filtered drinking water also available)
- Near No. 10 tee/No. 16 tee
- Wine & Dine on 9 (near No. 5 green/No. 9 fairway)
- behind 16 green (near The Grove)
- Taste of JAX (Located behind 11 green and 12 tee)
PGA TOUR Fan Shop: see “merchandise section” above!
Stadium Village: information coming!
Food Court: Homespun Kitchen, Firehouse Subs and Daily’s
By the Numbers
- $1 – Amount that former PGA TOUR Commissioner Deane Beman paid to purchase the 415 acres of swampland where TPC Sawgrass now sits
- 15 –minutes it takes to cut a hole location and replace the old hold location
- 84– number of bunkers on THE PLAYERS Stadium Course – 52 on the front nine and 32 on the back. #17 is the only hole on the course that has one bunker.
- 2.5– rough height, in inches
- 137 – distance, in yards, of the Island Green 17th Hole
- 105 – full-time agronomy employees who oversee the maintenance of both the Stadium Course and its sister course, Dye’s Valley.
- 12,000 – approximate number of man hours worked by the agronomy staff during tournament week alone
- Overseed Process:
- 4- kinds of seed are spread throughout the entire Stadium Course, including the practice grounds: Rye/Fine Fescue on the fairways and rough; Velvet Bent/Poa Trivialis on the greens.
- 25- tons of seeds spread
- 125 – acres of land the overseed covers
- Equipment the agronomy team uses:
- 15 – John Deere 2500 Triplex mower used for fairways
- 18 – John Deere 180SL mowers used for greens
- 16 – John Deere 260SL mowers used for tees and approaches
- 6 – John Deere 2653 mowers used for intermediate cut
- 66 – John Deere Turf Gators
- 6 – TruTurf greensrollers
- 40 – 20” Honda Rotary Mowers used for the rough
- 60 – Blowers to clean
- 51.77%- percentage of players who find the fairway off the tee on the par-5 2nd hole (since ShotLink began in 2003); this is the toughest Fairway to hit at TPC Sawgrass
- 7,189 – tournament yardage
- 15– international players who have won THE PLAYERS
- 6– number of players that have won THE PLAYERS at least twice (Jack Nicklaus, Steve Elkington, Hal Sutton, Fred Couples, Davis Love III and Tiger Woods)
- 0– number of back-to-back winners of THE PLAYERS
- 15– number of international winners of THE PLAYERS, from 11 different countries (Australia, Canada, Germany, Scotland, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Zimbabwe)
- 7– widest victory margin. Steve Elkington won by 7 strokes over Scott Hoch in 1997.
- 6 – largest come-from-behind victory. Raymond Floyd, 1981, Sawgrass Country Club. At TPC Sawgrass, the largest come-from-behind victory is 5 strokes (Justin Leonard/1998 and Henrik Stenson/2009)
- 100 feet, 1 inch– length of the longest putt made at THE PLAYERS (Ben Crane/R1/2007/14th hole)
- 45– number of balls that found the water on the 17th hole at the 2019 tournament
- 802– balls in the water on #17 since 2003
- 4 feet, 8 inches – length of Rickie Fowler’s winning putt on the 17th hole in 2015.
- 69 feet, 7 inches– distance of Jhonattan Vegas’ birdie putt on the 17th hole, marking the longest putt ever made on the 17th hole
- 78 feet- length of the island green
- 50,000 to 60,000 – the number of golf balls that are retrieved from the surrounding water every year .
- 137 – length of the hole from the tournament tees
- 60 feet– distance of Tiger Woods’ “better than most” birdie putt in 2001
- Nine – number of holes-in-one on the 17th
- 55 square feet – size of the bunker at the front of the green
- 3,912 – square footage of the green (compared to a course average of 4,500)
- 12 – the highest score posted by a professional golfer; Bob Tway in 2005.
Trophy & Theme Music
THE PLAYERS Championship trophy:
Click here for images and videos. Please credit PGA TOUR.
THE PLAYERS unveiled a new Tiffany & Co. trophy at the 2019 tournament. Using a process called “electroforming,” Tiffany & Co. and the PGA TOUR began with the inspiration of the swinging golfer from the iconic PGA TOUR logo. Then, through sophisticated computer modelling, designers incorporated aspects of each of the 38 different winners of THE PLAYERS – from Jack Nicklaus to Webb Simpson.
Using a process called electroforming, which uses electric current to build up layers of a precious metal around a temporary core to create a smooth and seamless finish, the Tiffany & Co design team worked with the PGA TOUR to replicate a golfer whose form was then created into a mold using 3D-printing technology. The golfer stands atop the signature 17th island green, which includes intricate details like the signature Pete Dye pilings and the surrounding water.
THE PLAYERS Championship trophy is one of several pieces that Tiffany & Co. has created for the TOUR and its events, including the season-ending FedExCup.
THE PLAYERS Theme Music: click here to listen
During THE PLAYERS 2019, the PGA TOUR unveiled its brand new, original, orchestrated music—fittingly named ‘GOLD STANDARD.’ This new theme is fully owned by the PGA TOUR and replaces the previously used score from “The Man from Snowy River.” The PGA TOUR worked with Man Made Music in New York to write the music, which was then recorded by approximately 40 world-renown, classically trained musicians during a two-day session in New York City. From there, an entire toolkit was made that will be used during the telecast to accompany the storylines that unfold during the tournament. From the more dramatic moments to the uplifting and fast-paced, the GOLD STANDARD music befits THE PLAYERS’ modern, energetic and fan-first approach.
- Joel Beckerman, Founder, Man Made Music
- Michael Lang
- James Hynes
About Grant Thornton LLP
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd, one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton, which has revenues in excess of $1.9 billion and operates more than 50 offices, works with a broad range of dynamic publicly and privately held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations.
“Grant Thornton” refers to Grant Thornton LLP, the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd (GTIL). GTIL and the member firms are not a worldwide partnership. Services are delivered by the member firms. GTIL and its member firms are not agents of, and do not obligate, one another and are not liable for one another’s acts or omissions. Please see grantthornton.com for further details.
Optum is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 180,000 people worldwide, Optum delivers intelligent, integrated solutions that help to modernize the health system and improve overall population health. Optum is part of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH). For more information, visit optum.com
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities, wealth management and investment management services. With offices in more than 42 countries, the Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, institutions and individuals. For more information about Morgan Stanley, please visit http://www.morganstanley.com.