- THE PLAYERS programming will be available in:
- Every market, excluding U.S., China, and Korea, via GOLFTV powered by PGA TOUR
- 218 countries and territories via licensed media partners
- THE PLAYERS Championship live broadcast will be available in:
- 122 countries and territories and localized in 6 languages via GOLFTV
- 197 countries and territories and localized in 28 languages via 45+ licensed media partners
GOLFTV powered by PGA TOUR
The PGA TOUR and Discovery’s international OTT streaming service, GOLFTV presents more than 2,000 hours of live action each year with localization in six different languages – English, Norwegian, Danish, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese.
GOLFTV distributes LIVE tournament programming, including marquee events such as THE PLAYERS and the FedExCup Playoffs, in 122 countries and territories. A wide range of premium content on-demand is made available in every market, excluding the U.S., China, and Korea.
For more information or to speak to the GOLFTV executive leadership team, please contact:
- Fiona McLachlan: Fiona_McLachlan@discovery.com
- M: +33 6 50 35 96 57
- James Hillier
- E: James_Hillier@discovery.com
- M: +33 7 76 58 53 57
Linear Broadcast Partners
In addition to the OTT distribution via GOLFTV, international coverage of THE PLAYERS remains strong in 2021. Tournament programming will be distributed to over 210 countries and territories, with live coverage distributed throughout 197 countries and territories and localized in 28 languages.
6 international media partners will be on-site producing content at THE PLAYERS:
- Sky Sports UK
- Canal+ France
- NHK Japan
- Discovery Golf
- Golf Channel Latin America
- Golf Network Japan
International Custom Content
The PGA TOUR International media team produces and distributes exclusive content from THE PLAYERS Championship for international partners. These features provide partners with hours of additional content that highlights the history of TPC Sawgrass and the tournament’s many champions. The team will be capturing and producing more international/native language content for the following markets:
- Latin America
International Tournament Winners
THE PLAYERS has 15 international winners, from 11 different countries. Australia leads with four for the most wins from an international country.
- 1987 – Sandy Lyle (Scotland)
- 1991 – Steve Elkington (Australia)
- 1993 – Nick Price (Zimbabwe)
- 1994 – Greg Norman (Australia)
- 1997 – Steve Elkington (Australia)
- 2002 – Craig Perks (New Zealand)
- 2004 – Adam Scott (Australia)
- 2006 – Stephen Ames (Canada)
- 2008 – Sergio Garcia (Spain)
- 2009 – Henrik Stenson (Sweden)
- 2010 – Tim Clark (South Africa)
- 2011 – KJ Choi (South Korea)
- 2014 – Martin Kaymer (Germany)
- 2013 – Si Woo Kim (South Korea)
- 2016 – Jason Day (Australia)
- 2019 – Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland)
International Tournament Milestones
- Sandy Lyle, Scotland, became the first international player to win THE PLAYERS Championship in 1987. Lyle secured the victory by beating out Jeff Sluman on the third hole of a playoff. At the playoff’s second hole, Sluman stood over a 6-foot birdie putt to win, and a spectator jumped into the water surrounding the 17th green. He backed away, then missed.
- Steve Elkington is the only international player with multiple victories – 1991 and 1997.
- Tim Clark’s first PGA TOUR win was THE PLAYERS Championship in 2010.
- In 2011, K.J. Choi became the first Asian born golfer to win THE PLAYERS Championship. He became the victor after the first playoff hole against David Toms.
- In 2017, Si Woo Kim became the event’s youngest winner at age 21.