CONTACT: Emily Tillo, THE PLAYERS, email@example.com
Holiday Cheer Continues with THE PLAYERS Red Coats:
Past tournament chairpersons set to make two more donations to local nonprofits
Last week, THE PLAYERS Championship’s Red Coats made surprise donations to Gabriel House of Care, Angelwood and Sanctuary on 8th Street (click HERE for photos), three of 51 total recipients of Red Coat Grants.
The Red Coat “reindeers” will continue spreading holiday cheer this week when they visit The Giving Closet Project on Friday and Catholic Charities Jacksonville’s Camp I Am Special on Saturday, with donations in store for both organizations. See below for more information.
Background: Each year, THE PLAYERS Championship’s Red Coats (past tournament volunteer chairpersons) conduct surprise visits to nonprofit organizations throughout Northeast Florida to present charitable donations as part of their Red Coat Grants.
Friday, December 17 – Presents and Packages for The Giving Closet Project
- When: 10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Where: The Giving Closet Project – 8801 Lake Placid Dr E, Jacksonville, FL 32208
- What: The Red Coats will be wrapping presents and assembling care packages for beneficiaries of The Giving Closet Project (GCP), a nonprofit located on the campus of Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School that provides basic needs resources for school communities and social service agencies that work directly with homeless and low-income youth and their families. GCP was developed out of the desire to help schools revitalize their lost-and-found into successful donation centers for students in need. During their visit, the Red Coats will present a $10,000 check to GCP that will be used to support the program’s expansion, especially as demand for its services has continued to increase.
- Interviews available with: Any of THE PLAYERS’ Red Coats in attendance, along with GCP Founder Jennifer Smith.
- Note: Attendees are encouraged to wear a mask.
Saturday, December 18 – Golf Cart Surprise for Camp I Am Special
- When: 12:45 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- Where: Camp I Am Special – 455 Marywood Drive, St. Johns, FL 32259
- What: During Camp I Am Special’s Winter Day Camp, the Red Coats will deliver more than 100 PLAYERS-themed donuts provided by Mini Bar (a food partner of the tournament) to the campers, staff and volunteers. While the campers enjoy these treats, THE PLAYERS 2022 Tournament Chairman Matt Welch will deliver an extra special surprise when he drives up in a brand new six-seater golf cart for Camp I Am Special, which the organization can use for transporting its campers. Camp I Am Special is a camp for people with intellectual and developmental differences and physical disabilities that is operated by Catholic Charities Jacksonville, which provides a variety of services to those in need, including adoption/pregnancy services, emergency assistance, workforce development programs, immigration services, assistance for those with disabilities, and more.
- Interviews available with: THE PLAYERS 2022 Tournament Chairman Matt Welch; Catholic Charities Regional Director Lori Weber; Camp I Am Special Camp Director Rebecca Aleman; camper Jack Roper (10 years old) and his Buddy (volunteer) Mike Lupoli (16 years old); and camper Kaci Himmelreich (18 years old) and her Buddy Jessie Oehmann (15 years old).
- Note: Attendees will be required to wear a mask.